Some like it hot
The dog days of summer can take the fire out of your garden, fading brilliant colors and leaving lush, healthy foliage looking dull and listless. Luckily, there are plenty of plants available that thrive in the heat, allowing you to create a landscape that will stand out beautifully during the hottest season of the year. With a huge selection of heat-tolerant trees, shrubs, and perennials from which to choose, you'll find whatever you need to fill every corner of your garden. Tips for gardening in particularly hot, dry climates:
- Water with a drip system whenever possible -- soak the bed slowly and thoroughly to a depth of 10 to 12 inches.
- Watering deeply every 3 to 5 days is preferable to a shallow daily watering.
- Water in the early morning, so foliage has time to dry.
- Add a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch or similar material to aid in water retention and help keep the roots cool during hot weather.
- Have Your Sweetest Summer Ever!Pack of 25 Was $14.95
- Big Orange Color Stands Out in Small Gardens or Borders!1-Quart $15.95
- Surprising Red Blooms Provide Summer Accent!1-Quart $18.95
- Double Pom-Pom Flowers Bloom Yellow, Transition to White!1-Quart $14.95
- Bright Red Flowers Attract Birds and Bees with Sweet Nectar!1-Quart $15.95
- Tall, Upright Sedums Form Large Clumps of Foliage Great for Landscaping!1-Quart $14.95
- Magical Appearance!1-Quart Was $19.95
- The World's First and Only Mini Hibiscus!1-Quart Was $22.95
- Birds adore its fall berries, and you will thrill to the huge spring blooms of this deer-resistant beauty!1-Quart Was $19.95
- Wonderful White!1-Quart Was $16.95
- Pink and Prolific!1-Quart $24.95
- Big Sensation!1-Quart Was $24.95
- Bud-ding Beauty!2-Quart Was $28.95
- Much more heat-tolerant than 'P.J.M.,' it's the ideal size for foundation, hedge, and driveway planting.2-Quart Was $19.95
- An Elegant White Version of Bleeding HeartsBareroot $18.95
- The "Lupine of the South1-Quart $12.95
- Orange Picotee in Spring AND Crimson Foliage in Fall!Trade Gallon (3qt) Was $74.95
- Beautifully variegated foliage, and flowers too!Bareroot Was $74.95
- Pink Blooms Through Spring and Red Leaves Through FallBareroot Was $64.95
- Three Seasons of Changing Foliage Colors!Trade Gallon (3qt) Was $59.95