Heartthrob Rose Mallow
Hibiscus moscheutos 'Heartthrob' PPAF
Out to wow you with huge blooms that open from nearly black buds, this Rose Mallow is certain to become the centerpiece of your sunny perennial bed. Where else can you get nearly foot-wide blooms of richest maroon, trimmed in charcoal-black?
Appearing in mid- to late summer, the flowers reach 8 to 10 inches wide and sport a black center and black veining. The burgundy-maroon petals are slightly ruffled, adding texture to their tremendous size, and they arise in great numbers all season long. Glossy and perfectly rounded, they are simply amazing.
'Heartthrob' reaches 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide, very densely branched, it makes a lovely low hedge or color ribbon through the sunny garden. The foliage is fresh green and quite large, providing the perfect backdrop to those eye-popping blooms.
This Rose Mallow asks only for good soil drainage and plenty of sunshine to grow and bloom its best. Give it enriched soil for best flowering, and it will grow into the ideal hedge or color ribbon for your landscape! Zones 4-9.
|Zone||4 - 9|
|Bloom Season||Mid Summer - Late Summer|
|Plant Height||4 ft|
|Additional Characteristics||Bloom First Year, Butterfly Lovers, Easy Care Plants, Flower|
|Bloom Color||Black, Dark Burgundy, Dark Maroon|
|Foliage Color||Medium Green|
|Light Requirements||Full Sun|
|Moisture Requirements||Moist, well-drained|
|Resistance||Heat Tolerant, Humidity Tolerant|
|Soil Tolerance||Normal, loamy|
|Uses||Border, Hedge, Outdoor|
|Restrictions||Guam, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Canada, Arizona|
- Butterflies like a lot of sunlight, so locate your garden in a sunny area.
- If you live in a windy location, plant your butterfly-attracting plants near a building, fence, or hedge to protect them.
- Plant a variety of nectar-rich plants, as well as shrubs and evergreens for shelter.
- Since many butterflies and native flowering plants have co-evolved, try to put in some that are native to your area. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center provides lists of plants native to states and regions.
- Certain colors are particularly attracting to butterflies – red, yellow, pink, purple, or orange blooms that are clustered or flat-topped, with a short flower tubes are especially attractive to adult butterflies.
- Avoid using pesticides, especially around nectar-producing plants.
- Provide a shallow source of water – try a birdbath with pebbles lining the bowl.
- Place a rock in a sunny spot for butterfly basking and resting.
- Create a "puddling area" by digging a shallow hole filled with compost or manure where rainwater will collect and release essential salts and minerals.
- If you want butterflies to breed in your garden, put in some caterpillar food plants, such as parsley, milkweeds, asters, thistles, violets, clover, grasses, and Queen Anne’s Lace.
- Since butterflies need nectar throughout the entire adult phase of their lives, try to create a design that will allow for a continuous bloom – when one stops blooming, another starts.
Set plants out in a loose, moisture retentive soil enriched with generous amounts of well-decomposed organic matter. Full sun to light shade is required. Space plants 18 to 36 inches part.
A mulch is recommended to preserve summer moisture; do not allow plants to dry out during the growing season. Cut back hardened brown stalks to the ground in the fall, or in early spring, before new growth begins.
Toward the northern limit of their range, a winter mulch of pine straw of salt hay is recommended. H. moscheutos is slow to break dormancy in the spring - so be careful not to remove it accidentally. More drought tolerant than other species and varieties.
A Tradition of DistinctionSince its founding in 1920, Wayside Gardens has brought the rarest and highest-quality plants to the garden market. Wayside was founded in 1920 by two acclaimed growers who came together to pursue their shared vision of marketing all high-end plants for the serious garden enthusiast. Originally located in Mentor, Ohio, Wayside Gardens swiftly grew a reputation for the highest-quality plants and the most sophisticated clientele. In 1975, Wayside was purchased by the Park Seed Company, and moved to Hodges, SC. The company has flourished since then, growing to become an undisputed leader in rare and unique plant growing.
Unparalleled SelectionWayside's horticulturists travel the world in search of new and unusual plant cultivars and proudly offer the garden industry’s most sophisticated selection of high quality and rare perennial plants, bulbs, trees, shrubs, roses, vines, and indoor plants. Beginning with ties to the Dutch family bulb business in Holland, our horticulturists have developed close relationships with perennial and bulb growers throughout the United States and Europe, providing access to many rare and unique garden treasures. Throughout our history we have had the pleasure of introducing numerous exotic foreign and domestic plant cultivars to the American garden market. The Wayside collection of new and exclusive plant products is so preeminent that the catalog has long been lauded in the industry and is even used as a reference work in horticultural schools.
Impeccable Quality and Value – We Guarantee It!At Wayside Gardens, “pedigreed plants” and “root strength” have always been watchwords. The Wayside Gardens impeccable plant quality begins with selecting only the finest new product offerings with improved plant features and numerous advantages for our gardening customers. These improved plant selections are then grown to our exacting quality standards by garden industry professionals. This produces superior plants with well developed root systems and healthy, vigorous plant growth habits. That is why we proudly guarantee all Wayside Gardens' products to perform as advertised, being of superior quality, true to type, and shipped properly.
Larger Containers & Well Established Root SystemsWe use larger containers and grow bigger plants than other nurseries, leading to greater root strength. Where appropriate, Wayside Gardens propagates our plants vegetatively rather than from seed, to ensure the plants possess the correct form and are true to variety, like a true double form, as opposed to the single or semi-double forms that may result from seed propagation. Because we employ only the finest and most technologically advanced plant growing methods, you can be confident in receiving healthy plants ready to burst forth in glorious growth in your garden.
- Unique, well-established and vigorous growing plants offer greater value for your money than other nurseries.
- Dedicated to providing detailed plant care instruction and informative plant information to make your product selection and planting truly enjoyable.
- Trained horticulturists are on-call to offer you any help or advice you need on how to care for your plants.
- All Wayside plants are carefully packaged to ensure a safe arrival.
- Your plants will be shipped to you at the proper time for planting.
- Honored to be your first choice in horticulture.
- If your item has received our recommended care and still doesn't perform to your satisfaction, we will replace it free of charge or credit you the item’s cost.
- Wayside Gardens is committed to helping you make your gardening an exquisite experience.