Oranges & Lemons Blanket Flower
grandiflora 'Oranges & Lemons' PP#17,092
Plant Patent #17,092. "Oranges and lemons / Say the bells of St. Clement's" goes the old nursery rhyme, and you'll be ready to ring a hearty tribute to this super long-blooming, floriferous, easy-to-grow Blanket Flower before the very first season is over. All Gaillardias offer up a lot of blooms, but 'Oranges & Lemons' is on an entirely new scale of production, with a single plant boasting as many as 75 flowers open AT A SINGLE TIME! Multiply that by the early-summer-through-mid-fall bloomtime, and you'll see that you're going to enjoy hundreds upon hundreds of flowers every year from this little powerhouse.
Each daisy is about 2 inches wide, with bright tangerine petals tipped in yellow and surrounding a saucy orange-and-yellow central cone.
This plant is just 18 inches high and 20 inches wide, so it's all the more surprising that it should be such a powerhouse for flowers. Yet from the first breath of summer until long into fall, 'Oranges and Lemons' regales you with blooms. It's also a rough-and-ready garden performer, withstanding heat, humidity, poor soil, and even drought once established in your garden.
'Oranges and Lemons' is the perennial to plant in your sun-soaked garden trouble spots ? along the baking asphalt driveway, in that dry area around the mailbox, or in the tough, almost unbroken soil of a new bed or border. It thrives on challenges like these, and you'll be amazed at its performance even when given very little attention.
Space plants about 18 inches apart. Zones 3-10. Cannot ship to GU, VI.
A Tradition of DistinctionSince its founding in 1920, Wayside Gardens has brought the rarest and highest-quality plants to the garden market. Wayside was founded in 1920 by two acclaimed growers who came together to pursue their shared vision of marketing all high-end plants for the serious garden enthusiast. Originally located in Mentor, Ohio, Wayside Gardens swiftly grew a reputation for the highest-quality plants and the most sophisticated clientele. In 1975, Wayside was purchased by the Park Seed Company, and moved to Hodges, SC. The company has flourished since then, growing to become an undisputed leader in rare and unique plant growing.
Unparalleled SelectionWayside's horticulturists travel the world in search of new and unusual plant cultivars and proudly offer the garden industry’s most sophisticated selection of high quality and rare perennial plants, bulbs, trees, shrubs, roses, vines, and indoor plants. Beginning with ties to the Dutch family bulb business in Holland, our horticulturists have developed close relationships with perennial and bulb growers throughout the United States and Europe, providing access to many rare and unique garden treasures. Throughout our history we have had the pleasure of introducing numerous exotic foreign and domestic plant cultivars to the American garden market. The Wayside collection of new and exclusive plant products is so preeminent that the catalog has long been lauded in the industry and is even used as a reference work in horticultural schools.
Impeccable Quality and Value – We Guarantee It!At Wayside Gardens, “pedigreed plants” and “root strength” have always been watchwords. The Wayside Gardens impeccable plant quality begins with selecting only the finest new product offerings with improved plant features and numerous advantages for our gardening customers. These improved plant selections are then grown to our exacting quality standards by garden industry professionals. This produces superior plants with well developed root systems and healthy, vigorous plant growth habits. That is why we proudly guarantee all Wayside Gardens' products to perform as advertised, being of superior quality, true to type, and shipped properly.
Larger Containers & Well Established Root SystemsWe use larger containers and grow bigger plants than other nurseries, leading to greater root strength. Where appropriate, Wayside Gardens propagates our plants vegetatively rather than from seed, to ensure the plants possess the correct form and are true to variety, like a true double form, as opposed to the single or semi-double forms that may result from seed propagation. Because we employ only the finest and most technologically advanced plant growing methods, you can be confident in receiving healthy plants ready to burst forth in glorious growth in your garden.
- Unique, well-established and vigorous growing plants offer greater value for your money than other nurseries.
- Dedicated to providing detailed plant care instruction and informative plant information to make your product selection and planting truly enjoyable.
- Trained horticulturists are on-call to offer you any help or advice you need on how to care for your plants.
- All Wayside plants are carefully packaged to ensure a safe arrival.
- Your plants will be shipped to you at the proper time for planting.
- Honored to be your first choice in horticulture.
- If your item has received our recommended care and still doesn't perform to your satisfaction, we will replace it free of charge or credit you the item’s cost.
- Wayside Gardens is committed to helping you make your gardening an exquisite experience.
Tips for gardening in particularly hot, dry climates:
1. Water with a drip system whenever possible – soak the bed slowly and thoroughly to a depth of 10" to 12".
2. Watering deeply every 3 to 5 days is preferable to a shallow daily watering.
3. Water in the early morning, so foliage has time to dry.
4. Add a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch or similar material to aid in water retention and help keep the roots cool during hot weather.