Sweet Tea Foamy Bells
x Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' PP#21,296
Without a doubt the most brilliantly colored, exciting Heucherella ever grown, 'Sweet Tea' is the foliage plant you must add to the shade garden this season! There is simply nothing else like these scalloped 4-inch leaves with cinnamon-russet centers and orange- and rose-infused edges. They complement all surrounding garden colors, and present an utterly unique, breathtaking show of their own three or even four seasons a year!
Colorful Heucherella are nothing new, but the play of oranges and browns on these leaves introduces an entirely new palette to the family. And the colors just become darker and more vibrant in summer heat and humidity! With Heuchera villosa in its parentage, 'Sweet Tea' stands up effortlessly even to the punishing summers of the south and southwest, keeping its densely layered, mounded form and improving its already brilliant hues. There's simply nothing else to compare it to!
Expect this shade-loving perennial to reach about 20 inches high and 28 inches wide. In late spring, creamy white blooms fly above the foliage on slender 7-inch stems like so many flags atop a ship. Attractive to butterflies, they can be left on the plant or snipped as filler for indoor arrangements. And as they pass, the amber, orange, and apricot tones of spring turn to richer cinnamon, burnt umber, and darkest salmon-peach with the hot weather of summer. Magnificent!
'Sweet Tea' fares best in partial shade, though it will tolerate full shade as well. It prefers soil that has been amended with organics, but once established in the garden is quite tolerant of less rich conditions. In mild and warm climates it remains evergreen through winter; farther north, it will die back to the ground, only to regrow rapidly in spring. Vigorous and well-branched, it needs no coddling or encouragement to quickly form a dense, bold, over-the-top presence that demands attention and inspires admiration. Set it fearlessly among your Helleborus (particularly in mild climates, where the winter show of cinnamon-orange and deep green is especially effective) Pulmonaria, and Actaea, as well as among its cousins Heuchera and Tiarella. It makes a fine exclamation point in the Hosta garden, and a startling textural contrast among Hardy Ferns.
Impervious to most pests and diseases, this adaptable perennial is a good choice for groundcover and mass planting as well as accent use in the border and in containers. It makes a stunning edging along a garden path, or a foreground planting for the shrub border. Very highly recommended for gardens almost anywhere in the country. Zones 4-9.
- Product Details
- Additional Images
- Customer Reviews
- Tips to Attract Butterflies
- How to Grow
- The Wayside Difference
|Zone||4 - 9|
|Bloom Season||Late Spring|
|Plant Height||20 in|
|Plant Width||2 ft 4 in|
|Additional Characteristics||Bloom First Year, Butterfly Lovers, Easy Care Plants, Fall Foliage Changes, Spring Foliage Changes, Variegated|
|Bloom Color||Cream, White|
|Foliage Color||Bronze, Brown, Burgundy, Copper, Gold, Orange, Red, Rose, Variegated|
|Light Requirements||Part Shade, Shade|
|Moisture Requirements||Moist, well-drained|
|Resistance||Disease Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Heat Tolerant, Humidity Tolerant, Pest Resistant, Deer Resistance|
|Soil Tolerance||Normal, loamy|
|Uses||Border, Containers, Fall Color, Foliage Interest, Ground Cover, Outdoor, Winter Interest|
|Restrictions||Canada, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands|
- Butterflies like a lot of sunlight, so locate your garden in a sunny area.
- If you live in a windy location, plant your butterfly-attracting plants near a building, fence, or hedge to protect them.
- Plant a variety of nectar-rich plants, as well as shrubs and evergreens for shelter.
- Since many butterflies and native flowering plants have co-evolved, try to put in some that are native to your area. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center provides lists of plants native to states and regions.
- Certain colors are particularly attracting to butterflies – red, yellow, pink, purple, or orange blooms that are clustered or flat-topped, with a short flower tubes are especially attractive to adult butterflies.
- Avoid using pesticides, especially around nectar-producing plants.
- Provide a shallow source of water – try a birdbath with pebbles lining the bowl.
- Place a rock in a sunny spot for butterfly basking and resting.
- Create a "puddling area" by digging a shallow hole filled with compost or manure where rainwater will collect and release essential salts and minerals.
- If you want butterflies to breed in your garden, put in some caterpillar food plants, such as parsley, milkweeds, asters, thistles, violets, clover, grasses, and Queen Anne’s Lace.
- Since butterflies need nectar throughout the entire adult phase of their lives, try to create a design that will allow for a continuous bloom – when one stops blooming, another starts.
Plant in well-drained but moisture-retentive soil of high organic content, spacing 18 inches apart. While it will tolerate sun, in the North, it is best in partial shade.
Remove spent flower spikes to prolong bloom. A 2 to 3-inch mulch is beneficial. Water during periods of drought. Divide, as needed, in spring, (fall in the South.)
A Tradition of DistinctionSince its founding in 1920, Wayside Gardens has brought the rarest and highest-quality plants to the garden market. Wayside was founded in 1920 by two acclaimed growers who came together to pursue their shared vision of marketing all high-end plants for the serious garden enthusiast. Originally located in Mentor, Ohio, Wayside Gardens swiftly grew a reputation for the highest-quality plants and the most sophisticated clientele. In 1975, Wayside was purchased by the Park Seed Company, and moved to Hodges, SC. The company has flourished since then, growing to become an undisputed leader in rare and unique plant growing.
Unparalleled SelectionWayside's horticulturists travel the world in search of new and unusual plant cultivars and proudly offer the garden industry’s most sophisticated selection of high quality and rare perennial plants, bulbs, trees, shrubs, roses, vines, and indoor plants. Beginning with ties to the Dutch family bulb business in Holland, our horticulturists have developed close relationships with perennial and bulb growers throughout the United States and Europe, providing access to many rare and unique garden treasures. Throughout our history we have had the pleasure of introducing numerous exotic foreign and domestic plant cultivars to the American garden market. The Wayside collection of new and exclusive plant products is so preeminent that the catalog has long been lauded in the industry and is even used as a reference work in horticultural schools.
Impeccable Quality and Value – We Guarantee It!At Wayside Gardens, “pedigreed plants” and “root strength” have always been watchwords. The Wayside Gardens impeccable plant quality begins with selecting only the finest new product offerings with improved plant features and numerous advantages for our gardening customers. These improved plant selections are then grown to our exacting quality standards by garden industry professionals. This produces superior plants with well developed root systems and healthy, vigorous plant growth habits. That is why we proudly guarantee all Wayside Gardens' products to perform as advertised, being of superior quality, true to type, and shipped properly.
Larger Containers & Well Established Root SystemsWe use larger containers and grow bigger plants than other nurseries, leading to greater root strength. Where appropriate, Wayside Gardens propagates our plants vegetatively rather than from seed, to ensure the plants possess the correct form and are true to variety, like a true double form, as opposed to the single or semi-double forms that may result from seed propagation. Because we employ only the finest and most technologically advanced plant growing methods, you can be confident in receiving healthy plants ready to burst forth in glorious growth in your garden.
- Unique, well-established and vigorous growing plants offer greater value for your money than other nurseries.
- Dedicated to providing detailed plant care instruction and informative plant information to make your product selection and planting truly enjoyable.
- Trained horticulturists are on-call to offer you any help or advice you need on how to care for your plants.
- All Wayside plants are carefully packaged to ensure a safe arrival.
- Your plants will be shipped to you at the proper time for planting.
- Honored to be your first choice in horticulture.
- If your item has received our recommended care and still doesn't perform to your satisfaction, we will replace it free of charge or credit you the item’s cost.
- Wayside Gardens is committed to helping you make your gardening an exquisite experience.